Emsi Privacy Statement
- You may access most of our services without furnishing any Personal Information at all.
- If you choose to register an account with Emsi for use with our Career Coach product, we will retain the email address that you provide to us in an effort to make your repeat use of Career Coach more efficient, practical and relevant.
- Except as expressly stated in this policy, we won’t furnish your personal information, including your name and email address, to third parties without your specific permission.
In short, this Statement describes the information that we acquire from you when you use our online services, how we use such information and whom we share it with. The information collected from you can include personal, demographic, and behavioral information, as described below. Emsi does not make available to any other party information that could be used to identify you individually, except with your separate consent or as is necessary to develop or provide our services (such as to payment processors, internet service providers, or hosting companies).
Information We Collect and Retain
You do not have to provide any personal information in order to use our licensed software products (such as Analyst, Developer, and Emsi Global) or perform any of the basic tasks on Career Coach (such as exploring careers or degrees). We collect the following general types of information about you when you use our services: behavioral information, and indirect information. We also collect personal information and demographic information when you become a registered user of our products. Sometimes we collect combinations of all these types of information. However, we do not collect personal information unless you choose to provide it to us.
- Behavioral information is information about how you use our services, the areas of our site that you visit, what services you access (including what searches you conduct), and information about your computer hardware and software including your IP address, geolocation, browser and operating system type, domain names, access times, number of visits, and referring Web site addresses. This information is necessary for analyzing the use of resources, troubleshooting problems, preventing fraud, and improving our services.
- Demographic information is information that could not be used to identify you on its own. Thus, it is information that refers to selected population characteristics, such as ZIP or postal code, gender, interests, and favorites. We do not associate this information with you unless you have opted to create an account and store this information.
- Indirect information is information we deduce from other information you provide to us. For example, if you provide a title of “Mrs.” we will assume you are female. Or if your email address ends in “.edu,” we will assume you are a student.
- Personal information is information that can be used to identify you, or any other individual to whom the information may personally relate, such as name and email address.
How Information is Used
Information Submitted through Emsi’s Website
If you ask us to do so, Emsi may use personal information you provide us to contact you about Emsi products and services.
Licensed Software Products
When you set up a user account for one of our licensed software products, you may choose to give us personal information such as name and email address. We will use this data solely to provide our services to you.
Besides the information you provide to us when you set up your user account, our licensed software products collect only behavioral information. We use the information we gather for the purposes of providing our services, operating and improving our services, fostering a positive user experience and delivering the products and services that we offer to jobseekers and educational institutions.
Our Career Coach product provides you with career and education information to aid in choosing a career or major course of study. Career Coach collects all four information types described above. We use the information gathered in the same manner as described above for our licensed software products (with the addition that we may use your contact details to respond to any queries that you may have).
Career Coach is a collaborative tool that brings or may bring together four separate parties to make the most of the tool. First, when you use the Career Coach tool, you are an End User of the tool and any of its associated customer services. Second, Emsi is the company that produces the Career Coach tool and hosts it on secure web servers. When you are using the Career Coach tool, you are interacting with software that runs on Emsi servers. Third, an organization, such as a university or private company (“the Organization”) has contracted with Emsi for Emsi to make Career Coach accessible in a customized format. As part Emsi’s contract with the Organization, Emsi agrees to provide the Organization with aggregated, depersonalized demographic information gathered through the Career Coach tool. This allows the Organization to adapt to better meet the needs of its constituents. Emsi has also agreed to provide the Organization with your personal information, when you – the End User – register on Career Coach. Fourth, Third Parties who provide services that are essential to delivering the Career Coach may receive information that is entered into Career Coach. These Third Parties include financial institutions and payment processors when necessary for the completion or collection of payment, and companies who provide internet transmission and hosting services. Emsi may also from time-to-time make available aggregated, de-personalized demographic information, which is gathered through the Career Coach tool, to other Third Parties. Because of the anonymous nature of this information, it would be impossible for any Third Party user of this data to relate it back to any End User to whom the data actually does relate.
By registering as a user of Career Coach, by managing your profile, you have consented for us to use your information, subject to local law, in the following ways:
- to allow you to create an account;
- to create a profile for you based on information that you have provided to us;
- to enable you to provide feedback, to contact us and for us to respond to you; and
- to generate internal reports about the use of our site.
By opting in when presented with choices, you have consented for us to use your information, subject to local law, in the following ways:
- to provide personal information about you and your potential interest in programs at the Organization, specific careers, and job postings to the Organization on whose behalf Emsi has made Career Coach available; and
- to provide you additional communications, information, and promotions such as newsletters and career advice.
Emsi’s Skills Match tool operates very similarly to Career Coach. The relevant differences are that more Skills Match features require a login for access, and that Skills Match does not require you to provide your name when you create a login.
Disclosure of Information to Others
We disclose to third parties your personal information, combined personal, demographic, behavioral or indirect information, as set forth below:
- We may share your information with third parties who help us in the delivery of our own products and services to you. We disclose information to companies and individuals we employ to perform functions on our behalf. Examples include hosting our web servers and analyzing data. They may not share that information with any other third party or use that data for any other purpose. We will remain responsible for any information shared in this way.
- We may aggregate on an anonymous basis behavioral information and demographic information. Such aggregated data does not identify users individually, and may be made available to the Organization, and Emsi customers.
- We disclose information if legally required to do so, or at our discretion pursuant to a request from a governmental entity or if we believe in good faith – after considering your privacy interests and other factors – that such action is necessary to: (a) conform to legal requirements or comply with legal process; (b) protect our rights or property or our affiliated companies; (c) prevent a crime or protect national security; or (d) protect the personal safety of users or the public. Because Emsi is a U.S. company and information collected on our Sites is stored in whole or in part in the United States, your information may become subject to U.S. law.
- We may disclose and transfer such information to a third party who acquires any or all of Emsi ‘s business units, whether such acquisition is by way of merger, consolidation or purchase of all or a substantial portion of our assets or stock. In addition, in the event Emsi becomes the subject of an insolvency proceeding, whether voluntary or involuntary, Emsi or its liquidator, administrator, receiver or administrative receiver may sell, license or otherwise dispose of such information in a transaction approved by the court. You will be notified of the sale of all or a substantial portion of our business to a third party by email or through a prominent notice posted on Emsi’s website.
Your Choices About Your Information
We retain information you provide to us by various means in an effort to make your repeat use of our services more efficient, practical and relevant, until you change or remove your personal data as described below. If you use our Career Coach product, you will have the option to establish an account profile. You may have access to, review, correct, update, change, or delete your account profile information at any time. Simply log in to your account, go to your profile, and make the necessary changes. Emsi may, however, retain behavioral and demographic information in an aggregated, anonymous format, which may include information you supplied.
If you wish to delete or close your account or account profile information altogether, you may do so in the Account > Settings section of Career Coach. Emsi will retain an archived copy of your account information as it reasonably considers necessary for audit and record purposes. We will also retain logs, behavioral, demographic, indirect, and statistical information that may relate to you but do not identify you personally and cannot be connected with you once you have deleted or closed your account.
If you later do not want your information to be processed as described by this Statement, you may revoke your consent to this Privacy Statement. If you wish to do so, please contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. However, please note that if you do withdraw your consent, you may not be able to use the relevant services and your account and profile information will be deleted.
You are responsible for ensuring that your account credentials (your username and password) are kept confidential.
Emsi has implemented technical and organizational measures designed to secure your personal information from accidental loss and from unauthorized access, use, alteration or disclosure. Notwithstanding such measures, the Internet is an open system and we cannot guarantee that unauthorized third parties will not be able to defeat those measures or use your personal information for improper purposes. For security purposes, the information you enter in to the Career Coach should not contain any sensitive data that you would not want made available to third parties.
Emsi’s tools are not intended for, nor do we knowingly collect information from, children under the age of 13.
Legal and Contact Information
Your data is submitted to Economic Modeling LLC, dba Economic Modeling Specialist International. (Emsi), and is hosted and stored in a database on servers situated in the United States owned and maintained by Economic Modeling LLC, a Delaware limited liability company, whose principal place of business is at 409 S Jackson St, Moscow, Idaho, USA. If, at any time, you have questions or concerns about this Privacy Statement or believe that we have not adhered to this Privacy Statement, please feel free to contact us by phone, email, or at the address above.
We will use reasonable efforts to promptly answer your question or resolve your problem.
Your California Rights
California law permits its residents to request and receive information about a business’ disclosure of certain categories of Personal Information to other companies for their use in direct marketing. If you are a California resident and a user of any of the Sites, you can request a copy of this information from Emsi by sending an email email@example.com or a letter to Emsi at, 409 S Jackson St, Moscow, ID 83843, Attention: Customer Service. Please include your name and email address in email requests, and your name and postal address in mail requests.
European Data Subjects
Emsi is GDPR compliant, and is self-certified under the EU-US Privacy Shield framework. You can view our certification at: https://www.privacyshield.gov/participant?id=a2zt00000008QtyAAE&status=Active. Emsi follows its Privacy Shield Policy in the processing of all GDPR-covered data.
You can view Emsi’s Privacy Shield policy here.
Updated July 2019